You know how sometimes you have to make a neutral paper, so you can print a book? (I’m hoping I can get half of the sheets I need for my next book out of this. I don’t know what I’m going to use for the other half yet. If I can steal Julia’s leftover pulp, I know what I’m using for the covers, though…)
The picture is deceptively boring. It’s not nearly that plain in reality.
It will be very interesting indeed to see how it comes out texturally — half of the pulp is the same rag I used for the watermarked sheets the other day, with a much shorter beat.
Also, the first half of the rag included both pink and brown. What color did it turn? You got it: pure white. (That’s actually why I blended the two; it was too bright of a white, so I toned it down with the stuff I knew would be at least a little grey.)
I mean, not really; it’s actually pretty great.
Julia took the last two days to make some truly excellent paper. And, of course, she’s much better at sheet formation than me.
Oh well. I wish I had some rag this color; it would be perfect for my next book project.
Well, sort of. I haven’t made paper like this since Alabama, and actually not even then: this is also watermarked, which I never tried down there.
(I took some excellent advice and did an almost five hour beat. It doesn’t have any knots in it, which is novel.)
(Almost charged. I think I dumped in another pitcher of pulp before I got started.)
(As you can see, one of the nice ones. Man, these moulds are awesome after the first two sheets. Something weird always happens with the first two. It’s unclear why.)
(Man, watermarks are fantastic.)
(This is one of the first couple of sheets, and I have no idea why the watermark held onto the pulp, but that was the only time it happened. I bet it was something to do with my lousy shake, though.)
And the sheets in the dry box:
(Surprisingly, I didn’t have any critical failures going from the post to the drying system. These might be the thinnest sheets I’ve made … uh, possibly ever.)
All in all, a pretty good day’s work, even if it is only like twelve sheets. (They drain slowly, ok?) More of the same tomorrow, and then I have another pound of the same rag to prep.
Would you look at how amazing this is? (The mould, if you’re curious, is an A4 from Khadi, which I have a serious love/hate relationship with.)
I actually have three watermarks to mess with, but the smaller wasp probably needs to be glued in order to function properly (guess I need to get to work making moulds) and the Marella needs a better head. But now I definitely want to make a series of Burgess Shale paper…
So gloriously, ridiculously blue.
It almost makes up for the fact that I had to take a couple of days off from papermaking. (Tomorrow I intend to go in and prep a nice neutral rag so I’ll have a book-appropriate paper.)
So very blue. An even more ridiculous shade than I expected, in pulp. The finished sheets should be excellent.
I could criticize the formation — it’s still pretty thready, and I was having a tiny bit of trouble getting even distribution. Whatever. It will be lovely anyway.
Because papermakers are amazing.
Need to get on that “making moulds” thing …
Two pounds of cotton: shredded mostly blue rag and one of the last batches of the purple stuff from a couple of years ago with a little leftover pink from the previous batch.
It was a collaborative effort, too: my studiomate J wandered over and helped with the second post. It was a good time, and she made a nice stack of very thin sheets.
I definitely need to get a different camera for this project. My phone died on Friday, and the backup I’m using is (as you can see) terrible (it’s not great as a phone, either). It may be time to start actually using a camera.
Today’s pulp is ridiculous.
I mean, not that you can tell from this photo. But it is awesome. AWESOME AND PINK. So pink. (Mostly linen, as I said, so the texture is actually magnificent.)
Almost entirely linen, a little overbeaten, and this photo doesn’t do it justice at all. It’s gloriously minty green until you look at it closely, and then there are blue threads … no, seriously, it’s great.
I really need to start using a camera with a decent color sensor.
Today’s paper was pink. So pink. About half linen, half cotton, a long beat and a long time clearing, so it should be crisp and not too knotty. We’ll see.